5 Reasons to Love Georgetown
Friday, April 1, 2016
The county seat of Williamson County, Georgetown is home to the oldest university in Texas, Southwestern University, founded in 1840. Less than 5 miles from Teravista via FM 1460, Georgetown has a charming downtown listed on the National Register of Historic Places, with nearly 50 contributing buildings – and thus begins our list.
1. Williamson County Courthouse Historical District. Now home to quaint shops and appealing restaurants, this nine-block district is described as an “unspoiled, coherent and intact composed primarily of two-story limestone structures of Victorian commercial design.” Surrounding the Courthouse Square, these well-designed and harmoniously proportioned buildings date from 1870 to 1902.
2. Red Poppy Festival. Held every April on the Courthouse Square, the Red Poppy Festival features family friendly food and fun, with live music, a car show, a fun run and much more. The official “Red Poppy Capital of Texas,” Georgetown is one of the few locations in the United States where these flowers reseed themselves each year. https://poppy.georgetown.org/
3. Blue Hole. Central Texas is known for its crystal-clear, rock-bottomed swimming holes, and Georgetown’s Blue Hole is one of the most iconic. Just 5 blocks from the Courthouse Square, this scenic lagoon is surrounded by limestone bluffs along the South Fork of the San Gabriel River.
4. Inner Space Cavern. Hidden for over 10,000 years, Inner Space Cavern is one of the best-preserved caves in Texas. One of only seven show caves in Texas, it was discovered in 1963 by a Texas Highway Department core drilling crew. The oldest rock at Inner Space is roughly 100 million years old.
5. Lots to do! Georgetown offers plenty to do for visitors of all ages, from the Creative Playscape that encourages kids’ imaginations to soar, to the Grape Creek Winery Tasting Room on the Square. Check out Georgetown’s official visitor’s site for more ideas!
- Georgetown ranks No.1 on South’s Best Cities to Live in 2018 list
- Top 5 homebuyer benefits for veterans
- 5 Reasons Suburban Life Beats City Living